Under the Statistics Act, Statistics Canada is required to "collect, compile, analyse, abstract and publish statistical information relating to the commercial, industrial, financial, social, economic and general activities and conditions of the people of Canada."
Statistics Canada has two main objectives:
To provide statistical information and analysis about Canada’s economic and social structure to:
- develop and evaluate public policies and programs
- improve public and private decision-making for the benefit of all Canadians.
To promote sound statistical standards and practices by:
- using common concepts and classifications to provide better quality data.
- working with the provinces and territories to achieve greater efficiency in data collection and less duplication.
- reducing the burden on respondents through greater use of data sharing agreements (sources used include annual tax records, monthly employee payroll records and customs records)
- improving statistical methods and systems through joint research studies and projects.
- Street: 150 Tunney's Pasture Driveway
- City: Ottawa
- Province: Ontario
- Postal Code: K1A 0T6
- Country: Canada
- Telephone: 1-800-263-1136
- Fax: 1-877-287-4369