The CCSD develops and promotes progressive social policies inspired by social justice, equality and the empowerment of individuals and communities.
A selection of documents is provded here for information. As well, most of the policy papers from the mid-nineties to the present are available in our reference section.
- Towards a Shared Prosperity (2012)
- Protecting Canadians at Greatest Risk: Economic Recession and Poverty Reduction, CCSD Submission to Federal Pre-Budget Consultation (2009)
In addition to our research material, also available are policy statements, briefs and submissions.
The Canada Social Transfer
The Canada Social Transfer is the Canadian government's transfer payment program in support of post-secondary education, social assistance and social services, including early childhood development and early learning and childcare. It was made independent from the Canada Health and Social Transfer program on April 1, 2004 to allow for greater accountability and transparency for federal health funding. In 2008/2009, the program transferred $10.6 billion in cash to the provinces and a further $8.5 billion in tax points.
The program was originally combined with the Canada Health Transfer in a program called the Canada Health and Social Transfer.
- Submission to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance - 2007 (PDF)
- Letter from Finance Minister Jim Flaherty - May, 2007 (PDF)
- Recommendation on the CST made to the Senate Committee on Social Policy - May 10, 2007
- CCSD's letter to the Prime Minister on Social Investments - April 5, 2007
The Social Architecture Series
The VSI aims to build a new and more effective relationship between the voluntary sector and the federal government. The Council sits on the Senior Steering Group and Working Group on Finance, and has been active on issues related to the enhancement of the financing and sustainability of voluntary sector organizations.